Monday, February 23, 2015

Superbug cases reported in North Carolina; 1 dead

Superbug cases reported in North Carolina; 1 dead


                                                      multi drug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa


        In the article by Vivian Kuo, it states that Eighteen people have contracted carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE, so far this year, said Kevin McCarthy, spokesman with the Carolinas HealthCare System.Of those, 15 had CRE upon admission to the hospital in Charlotte; three acquired it in the hospital, and one died, the spokesman said. The cause of death was not immediately clear. In Los Angeles, seven patients contracted CRE after routine endoscopic procedures.Two of them died, the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center said last week. CRE was a contributing factor in the deaths, but the exact cause of the deaths wasn't immediately disclosed in those cases either. Hospital officials there have said the outbreak was caused by two medical scopes that still carried the deadly bacteria even though disinfection guidelines were followed.

This new Bacteria is spreading but not enough to be an issue. This bacteria has potential to extremely deadly and severe. I feel that we should carefully be watching over this bacteria but we shouldn't be worried yet.This article was very interesting and it talks about new and developing diseases.

1.) Should we be worried about this new disease?

2.) How deadly do you think this disease is?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/22/health/superbug-north-carolina/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+(RSS%3A+Most+Recent)

No comments:

Post a Comment